11 March 2019 — Eight Years Later


Today is eight years since the 2011 greatest natural disaster Japan has ever experienced. Earthquake, tsunami, nuclear accident, events that changed lives forever. This is the day that the survivors will carry inside them forever. Almost every story I have heard about that day focused on the sounds, the sirens, the warnings, "the crashing sound the evil black serpent that took away the lives that we knew", as one student described to me. During these eight years I have visited Fukushima and Miyagi more than 25 times, and I have seen with my eyes the scars and tears, heard the stories of survival, and experienced the spirit of resilience, and rebirth. I have never come to respect a nation and its people more than Japan, seeing with what strength and determination they faced the tragic events of March 11, 2011. 

Today at 2:46pm the people of Fukushima will stand still, and feel inside them again the day that changed their region forever, the day that will never leave them. People try not to talk about that day much, but they all know, it is inside them, it is a secret code, for the people of the region. I met recently a young man who has been enjoying a very successful career in Tokyo, and after March 2011, has been visiting his family in Minamisoma, very regularly, much more than before, and he is volunteering his weekends to the local middle school baseball team. I met a music teacher from Namie, now in the the exclusion zone, who was taken to safety that day eight years ago by her students. She had been in hospital for the last year fighting leukaemia.  

Tonight, the musicians of the Fukushima Youth Sinfonietta, will continue their rehearsals, in preparation of their London concert on 1 April at the Queen Elizabeth Halll. They are proud, and brave, to share with the world their hope, and encouragement, they feel through music. Let's all keep them in our hearts, and try to understand what they are trying to convey and what they are carrying inside them. Let's all remember 11 March 2011, the day that changed their lives forever. Let's all remember that eight years later, the students of Fukushima, are, as always, proud, resilient, and full of love for their community.  If you are in London on 1 April, please come and join them at the Queen Elizabeth Hall and see for yourself how music has changed the lives of these Fukushima students. 


"Only music gave me courage and strength when I changed school from my home town, Minami Soma, because of the radiation. I feel very nervous to play in such a prestigious hall, but I would like to convey my appreciation to music. I have been practicing hard with my friends, aiming to become a symbol of restoration of Fukushima. I wish the audience today will share our excitement.”  -FYS musician


 “The assistance of people around me has helped me to overcome the difficult times of the last years since the earthquake. I am extremely grateful for this opportunity to participate in such a special concert. I would like the power of our music to give some strength and courage to the audience.” -FYS musician.

Comments

Popular Posts